19.1.13

Finally...My Etsy Shop

For years, I have been searching out and collecting vintage wooden boxes,
with the goal of painting them, creating works of art with our themes. I bought the first one in 1998, and painted it about a year later. I held a show about 2004, and sold most of my boxes, and it has been a slow journey to search out more boxes. Last autumn, coming back form a trip up North, I stopped at an out of the way, inconspicuous antique shop in Bishop. Prowling around, I found blue bottles and four boxes that were just what I had imagined for this project.
The proprietor had opened his shop there after thirty years of keeping a one in the Philippines, where he went to marry. He had a bushy grey mustache, and stories about blue bottles and boxes and starting a life in a hot humid place where you opened for business about seven o’clock in the evening.   

Home with my boxes, I deliberated over what to paint. I chose Theotokos Fina, the Flight into Egypt, and the Nine Saints. I like this concept, creating art today out of something first created long ago, laying one art over another, making something new out of something that someone valued decades ago.

My listing:

         Vintage wood Boxes with Hand Painted Ethiopian Folk Art by me

Theotokos
Fina






The Flight Into Egypt




The Nine Saints






Here's a link to my shop:


Click on the box to bring out the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment