7.8.12

To share this triumph


On Sunday, Tiki Gelana had run half the Olympic marathon in the rain. Then she was knocked down. She fell hard. Her elbow bled. Aching... 
She thought she might not finish. But in one glorious moment, she reached to her Ethiopian jegena heart.
 She climbed up and ran, and never relented. She overcame Russia; she passed Kenya. She won the gold medal for the marathon in the rain, for Ethiopia ... for me!

We cheered. We called each other.


What Ethiopian would not be inspired? Now Ethiopians who feel pulpy will get up and train, not to win the Olympics, but to celebrate, to show that we too are courageous, - that like Ethiopia, we might get knocked down, but we will rise and move forward. Nothing can stop us... Nothing.



I took the first step. I bought shoes,...
superb shoes with fuchsia shoestrings. I can hear someone saying, “Bikila won the marathon barefoot.”

Sure, I am not Bikila or Gelana or Dibaba or Bekele. But I am Ethiopian. However far I make it, or however long it takes,


‘I love running in the rain’. Tiki Gelana

 ... as I run, I will sometimes remember that I am connected to a champion people, and for that moment, I will be a winner.


"I get knocked down, but I get up again ..."

One of the most important aspects of the Christian life is not how many times we fall, but how many times we get up again…
  
May God grant you according to your heart's desire, and fulfill all your purpose.

Bereket



1 comment:

  1. Amen! keep on running my sister...yes when I think of those courageous olympians I think of Jesus too. He was the ultimate gold medalist. He dedicated his whole life for one important day,just like them he had one focus, one day, to show the world he is the winner. He carried the cross, he took the beatings,and no matter how many time he faliled he kept on getting up until he reach the cross and faced death. Yes he is the ultimate olympian. What an example he gave to us and to people like Tiki Gelena...

    ReplyDelete